Friday, January 15, 2010

first post! - lamp objective

How to hide the light source without negating its primary function?

This has been my ultimate goal in sketching up acceptable lamp designs. Unless a statement by the designer, I don't think the light bulb should be blatantly visible to the user. Not only does this often emit harsh light for the human eye, but it also seems like an oversight by the designer. Lighting may be the central theme of the lamp, but the look of the common bulb often conflicts with the lamp's design. For these reasons, I've been experimenting with the size, bends, curves, and placements of the lamp pieces. If I am to block the direct source of light, I must make sure that it is redirected and allowed to escape. In this process, the bulb is concealed but still provides light.

I'll post scans of a few of my sketches in the next post. Cheers, yo!

G

No comments:

Post a Comment