Wednesday, March 31, 2010

PD 370 - Nike Epic 3, 4, 5,...?


One of the best Nike products that I own is a black/red EPIC backpack. It's as tough as nails and slicker than snails. Nike created an amazing item and then decided to stop the line after the second iteration. Hmmph.

Here's a description of it off of IDSA.org's website:

The EPIC Backpack takes the load off the user's shoulders. The bag structure allows for high-impact, but is still lightweight and protects key possessions. To allow for high-impact, an exterior frame is attached to the bag with a modular design created from seven discrete parts. Over-molded elastomer feet prevents jarring when setting bag down. The bag stands upright and is difficult to knock over. The back panel is perforated with EVA to allow for dissipation of heat on the back. A bottom pocket at bag's base is designed to store power cords. The product uses good textures and sculpting. The straps are hidden. [1]

This product was so good that it even received a bronze in the 2003 Industrial Design Excellence Awards competition! And so I ask, why did Nike stop there? Nike produced the Epic 1 and the nearly identical Epic 2 backpacks for only a short time and in limited quantities. As I imagine my backpack won't last me forever and on the unfortunate day that it does fail me, I hope that I can find a similar or superior backpack to replace it. If I'm so fortunate enough to gain a design position at Nike in the future, I will make an effort to rehash the concept and improve upon it. I'm thinking waterproof zippers and fabrics and taped seams and an adjustable exoskeleton shell and....

G

6 comments:

  1. Just red the review - I got also the EPIC backpack. And it is truly epic.. unfortunaltey after 8 long years the backpack is going to retire. 8 long years of motorcycle trips/ bike trips/ traveling around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im quite interested in one like that , my bday is coming in next july , would you sell it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can refurbish an Epic backpack. I did it with my 4. CHeck out the Facebook group Nike Epic 1 Backpack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I have a black and gray one. One strap broke but I still use it as a one shoulder bag. I've had it for 10+ years and don;t even want another bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently became an owner of a Nike Epic 1 backpack with tags and have no use for it, is there still an interest in these type of backpacks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do you still have it and like to sell it?

      Delete